Wednesday, July 6, 2011

a concise autobiography

In When Pride Still Mattered, David Maraniss explains that Vince Lombardi was raised in an environment in which a trinity of life was upheld: God, Family, and Sports. Although those close to him knew his ability to relate to his family was negatively affected by a total commitment to being a winning coach, this trinity of God, Family and Sports is still part of the Lombardi legacy.

Growing up, I was an active little bugger. Though never the strongest or fastest, Dad says I always had a sense of where to be on the field when, and my drive to compete was matched by little else in life. It was family that was at the center of everything, from family dinners to supporting each other at extra-curricular activities. In Cedar Grove we went to Church twice on Sundays to encourage Dad who was giving the sermon. Our reluctance to go to the sparsely attended evening services doesn't hide the fact that our faith was the center of my family's identity.

Is there a trinity of values that describes your upbringing?
Has it changed since becoming an adult, and has that change been purposeful?

For me, the block that begins my trio is writing. Writing is both how I process the world and how I want to be remembered.
Second, it's family. Without family I am not motivated to reach my full potential, lacking an outlet of someone to live for.
My third block would have to be reading. Reading books, of course, but also reading people and nature. In short, what do I get from life's experiences that rings true?

That's what this blog is all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment