Tuesday, April 19, 2011

First Church of Chris

I listen as my coworker makes avocados into thin slices for sushi roles. He slices and talks as if both actions were rudimentary to life.
As I stand idly behind my espresso machine where I work, I let him field a question that is a follow-up to a discussion we had earlier that week.

 “So, Chris. Other than curiosity, or devout faith, why read the Holy Books?”
Admittedly, asking him this makes me a little nervous. Chris subscribes to no organized religion as I do, yet he told me recently he was rereading the Hebrew Bible and Old Testament. I don't think I've read through the entire Bible even one time.

"First, to understand human motivation," Chris answers, going on to explain that there are many themes that tie into each other in these books, and the truth of them that connects with its readers is why the books have survived for so long.

Second, he explains, to touch the divine in all of us. Whether it comes from within or above, humans are gifted with a spiritual capacity. By reading the holy books we enrich that crucial aspect of our nature.

Finally, to show we don’t vilify a particular belief.
Chris is very conscience how his children perceive his life path, and this includes where he turns his attention to learn about the world.

“So it’s about respect,” I say concerning the last reason.
Although we may not share the same philosophical passion, by educating ourselves about what our brothers and sisters around the world profess, we not only better understand them but show that we respect where their faith comes from enough to know about its source.

Having no avocados of my own to slice, I idly handle the groupheads.
Chris’s honest thoughts make me think about how often people spend so much energy bashing the beliefs and actions of others that they come away having no idea where the other person is coming from.

This energy would be better spent furthuring one’s knowledge about his own beliefs.
Or even better, to live them out.

“You’re in my church now,” Chris says as he begins pruining a bunch of green onions. Smiling, I exit the First Church of Chris.

Then Chris lifts an eyebrow at me one last time.
“You know, reading the Book of the Dead once was enough for me,” he said.
"You can pretty much sum it up in one phrase: 'you are dead, you are dead, you are dead, go and be free, because you are dead.'

I am dead? Well, that takes a load off.
Guess I no longer have to spend time judging people.

No comments:

Post a Comment